Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Creativity and Vacant shops

From Mark Irwin

Saturday, 1 August 2015

There have been vacant shops fronts in Market St by Saker Bakers for a few years now - they look a mess compared to the other great shops. Is it possible for one of HB's many talented artists to paint an appropriate mural on them?

With the owners' permission of course - Ed

From Richard Bates

Friday, 21 August 2015

Me and my partner visit Hebden quite often and are looking to move into the area. I have often wondered why the to shops are boarded up and not used. Is there a reason?

From Diane Hurst

Tuesday, 25 August 2015

The reason for those 'dead eyes' on Market Street is not known
but should be well worth looking into. A few years ago there was some anonymous mutter of bad feeling, a jinx or something as to why these adjacent shops were permanently closed. But as time elapses, some investigation is really necessary and who knows, maybe there will be more life on Market Street because of this.

From Gwen Goddard

Wednesday, 26 August 2015

Some 10 years ago a number of us tried very hard to get something done about what were then three unsightly and adjacent empty shops on Market Street. Jason Boom, now Town Clerk, had several meetings with the owner of the properties, one of them involving the gift of a vanilla slice, but despite early indications of possible success he was unable to get any improvement other than the windows being boarded up. Calderdale Council said they were unable to use enforcement powers.
One of the shops is now tenanted. And I believe the owner's house on Hangingroyd Lane is up for sale. Maybe it's time to try again? Any ideas?

See also: