Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Natural Flood Management

From Julie C

Wednesday, 23 March 2016

Fascinating sessions last Saturday at the Town Hall (I heard the first two speakers)

The first one talked about the experience of setting up the group in Pickering, and details of the project.

The second was from Durham University, a geomorphologist, who spoke very pertinently on the threats to our way of life from the impact of climatic changes.

Both of them emphasised that making a difference took time, and there is no time to spare, so to survive we'd better get on with it. Talk won't keep the water out. Constructive action based on good planning and research will give us a chance.

They weren't absolutely anti-dredging and wall building interestingly, but say it is only suitable in some spots, and with full understanding of the impacts of that work on other parts of the system.

The insight that stuck in my mind afterwards was that with the flow through the Calder Valley in spate being at 35 cubic metres per second (the equivalent of 35 full rubble sacks) is being hurled at bridges and walls, a force they cannot withstand. Bridges have strength downwards, rather than on their sides, building higher walls increases the pressure on the bridge. So, we need to slow the flow.

Hope I understood it right. Somebody else please fill in the gaps, and tell us what happened in the second half.

See also

HebWeb Feature: Boxing Day Floods 2015