Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Brearley Fields Clean Up

From Rob Blake

Monday, 18 April 2016

I want to say thanks to the team of volunteers who have spent the weekend clearing up Brearley Fields and surrounding area.

This part of the valley was very badly hit and a lot of debris was washed down from further upstream. I was wondering how this was going to get cleared up and these lads (and lasses) have done a cracking job.

From Kimmie D

Tuesday, 19 April 2016

I understand that the current small group of volunteers (who have done a fantastic job so far) are hoping to continue working all this week in that area. If anyone could see their way to joining in I'm sure they'd appreciate the support. Updates and photos are posted on the Mytholmroyd facebook page I believe.

From Rob Blake

Tuesday, 19 April 2016

Yesterday they moved downstream to the area around Brearley weir, which is looking entirely litter free for the first time in years thanks to their efforts.

They are currently making their way down the river towards Luddendenfoot, removing all of the detritus lodged in trees, etc.

The only word I can think of to describe these people is inspirational.

They are talking about organising regular works parties to keep on top of things and I will be joining them.

From F Robinson

Wednesday, 20 April 2016

They have a new Facebook page and I agree they are inspirational. Trevor Bannister is behind this initiative.

Next Clean Up Event
This weekend (Sat 23 and Sun 24 April), from 10am onwards. Brearley and Brearley Fields area. A lot of litter picking, pulling debris out of trees and bushes, clearing the river etc.

Our tent with provisions, drink making facilities etc is at the Brearley Lane end of Brearley Fields. If no-one's there there'll be a note saying where we are and a contact number.

Could do with litter-pickers, waders and rakes, otherwise everything's provided.

Some of the clearing up is on steep river-banks and in the river itself, but plenty of safe, flat areas such as the tow-path to do as well.

The Facebook link is here

From Alex Rudkin

Thursday, 21 April 2016

Could we ask Sir Phillip Dilley to come and help as it was his incompetence at running the Environment Agency that made the floods so bad that the litter was left in the first place. That is if he is not in Barbados enjoying his retirement on a pension paid for by us instead of being in jail for gross negligence.