Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Walled in Mytholmroyd

From F Minto

Thursday, 7 July 2016

Today they started taking down the wall by the Caldene Bridge in Mytholmroyd. I did ask, at the info place, how high the walls would be and was told 'up to 1.8 m' but non-specific as to where is what.

If we wall in the river the level of pollution and noise will be even worse than it is now especially for the school in the main road and walking to the co-op. We will have to raise footbridge and roads which may involve steps which will render the station and churches inaccessible to wheel reliant people. Remember we have walking limited people at Elphabrough who have had to leave the village and who hopefully will return.

Please can we keep that which is good about Mytholmroyd and make it better. Please don't throw the baby out with the flood water.

From Benny M

Friday, 8 July 2016

The raising of riverside walls in Todmorden has been a complete and utter failure.The water finds its way around the walls and is then retained behind the structure delaying any draining away.Water is unstopable when will the Enviromental agency realise this.

From Andy M

Tuesday, 12 July 2016

I was under the impression that the culverting of the Calder in Todmorden near Morrisons - if that is where you were referring to - has been very successful. That's not to say that it's a panacea for every flood situation.

From F Minto

Monday, 5 September 2016

Update. It seems the 1.8 meter wall will be opposite the Coop, garage and school. It may have a raised walkway, port hole windows and art work, which is interesting. Thr ladies at the hub were very helpfull and did demonstrate to me the importance of widening as opposed to clearing the river bed. I suppose if we can get the water through Mytholmroyd it gets to the flooding fields. The also have upstream plans which we are waiting for.

I would be interested to hear from the Coop workers and the school. My concern would be, what the effect on pollution and dirt at a pedestrian/child level along that piece of road? I like to walk to the Coop at the weekend and the current situation along Burnley Road is not pleasant. Fortunately, walking along the canal and snickets make up for the road.