Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Demolition job

From Paul Clarke

Monday, 16 January 2017

I noticed the other day they seem to be starting a a demolition job of the children's centre/older people's centre just past the Methodist Church. You may know it better as where the temporary library was housed when the town centre one was being refurbed.

I'm not sentimental about buildings but this is pretty modern building that was well used so can anyone shed any light on this?

Was the flood damage so bad it make no sense to keep it open?

If the whole building is going then what are the the plans for the site? Can we have a playground or a community garden?

From Cllr Dave Young

Monday, 16 January 2017

The former Hebden Vale Day Care Centre is to be demolished following the Boxing Day Floods, it was beyond repair and the Environment Agency is to use the site as a compound when they carry out the necessary Flood Works in Hebden Bridge for about 2 years. Hopefully it will then be turned into a much needed Car Park for our town.

This bridge was taken down as a Flood prevention measure.

All the former clients of the Day centre have been relocated to St James Church and are happy with this arrangement.

Hope that is helpful.

From Tim M

Monday, 16 January 2017

The foundations were damaged by the floods. Az all the services in the building found new homes, it was decided to demolish it. The site will provide accommodation for the Environment Agency while they work on flood defences, following that, possibly a new car park.

From Julie C

Monday, 16 January 2017

The demolition is going ahead because the building is unstable, the river bank has collapsed, the footbridge access has had to be removed as it blocked the river flow a nd, helped the flood to get out into town. The site will be used as a depot/car park for the Flood Prevention work for the next couple of years.

From Paul Clarke

Tuesday, 17 January 2017

Thanks to everyone for their useful updates.

I assumed that the building was beyond repair and I'm pleased to hear from Cllr Young that the former users are happily relocated.

Thinking about it - and given how vulnerable that site is to flooding - a car park seems a sensible and much needed option.