Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Create a Progressive Alliance to Defeat the Tories

From Bob Deacon

Tuesday, 18 April 2017

This has to be a General Election fought like no other. If we fight it the old way, the Tories will win a massive victory – not just for themselves and the interests they represent, but for the hardest of Brexits. 

We have to fight differently. We have to fight together. We have to fight the Tories and not each other. And we have to make it happen from the grassroots up.

Labour, Greens, Liberal Democrats, the SNP, Plaid, the Women’s Equality Party – people of all progressive parties and none must come together to win. Only a Progressive Alliance can stop the Tories and co-create the new politics. 

Next week, with the help of a range of people from across the spectrum of progressive politics, Compass will launch the Progressive Alliance. We have already identified all the seats in which the Tories can be defeated if we work together. 

If you’d like to get active locally to build a PA, please get in touch with Frances

In my view this is the general election where we have to do it differently.

From Alex F

Wednesday, 19 April 2017

Convince me this isn't a new-New-Labour re-branding exercise. 

From Bob Deacon

Thursday, 20 April 2017

No; not a rebranding. It is simply a strategy of systematic tactical voting. The issue we are faced with is acceptance of a hard Brexit under a revamped May or a coalition of the LP, Lib-dems greens, SNP negotiating a more acceptable softer brexit. 

In some constituencies it means Labour should be supported by other progressive parties and in other constituencies it means labour voting for the lib dems.

If this could be agreed in those constituencies there is a chance that May could be stopped in her tracks. If not, she will win. 

In Calderdale had the Lib Dem and Green votes gone to Labour last time, the Labour Party would have won. I know that is a hard call for Jenny Sheppard and the Lib Dems but going on in the old way means a hard Brexit. I have no brief for any party. I see the Compass analysis convincing.  

From Graham Barker

Thursday, 20 April 2017

Tactical voting cuts both ways. There may be many Tory-averse Leave voters prepared to switch to the Tories as an extraordinary measure because they don’t trust any other party on Brexit. The more tactical voting there is, the more this GE will just be a rerun of last June. For those so keen on a second referendum, here it comes.

From Pedro de Wit

Monday, 1 May 2017

To me this looks a bit like a desperate last stand. What it really says is: As a party we (Labour) don't have anything to offer to the voters. Because we can't stand on our own we will join hands with the other losers. Just doesn't make a compelling reason to vote for Labour does it? Maybe it would be better for the party to get its act together.

From James Baker

Tuesday, 2 May 2017

As Lib Dems we are campaigning to stop a hard Brexit. Corbyn got his MPs and Peers to vote for a hard Brexit with the Tories.

He refused to support Lib Dem amendments on the rights of EU and UK citizens, staying in the single market or having a final referendum once the terms of Brexit are know. 

What possible basis is there to stand aside for a political party that has formed a grand coalition with the Tories to drive through a hard Brexit that will wreck our economy and destroy our NHS?

It's because of this that we have ruled out doing any coalition deals with Labour or the Conservatives. 

From Bernard B

Tuesday, 2 May 2017

James Baker: is that the same Lib Dems that wanted an in/out referendum on EU membership a few years back? See this News Statesman article. And of course Tim Farron was one of three frontbenchers who resigned in 2008 to try to force a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.

As Lord Ashdown said on referendum night, "I will forgive no one who does not respect the sovereign voice of the British people once it has spoken whether it is a majority of one per cent or 20 per cent. When the British people have spoken you do what they command. Either you believe in democracy or you don’t."

I could forgive the Lib Dems for the whole tuition fees thing, but not for your sustained attacks on democracy. It's in the name of your party for goodness sake.

From Graeme K

Tuesday, 2 May 2017

Tim Farron is 'a bit of a euro-sceptic': see this YouTube clip

Apart from the Greens, none of the opposition parties have been completely consistent on the issue, because of the way it divides the electorate. Even so, Labour have been clear that they will vote against what's being called 'hard Brexit' and it's disingenuous for James Baker to pretend otherwise.

I'd love to vote for the Greens but in this constituency there is only one party that can stop the Tories and it's pretty obvious which one it is. 

From Alex Rudkin

Tuesday, 2 May 2017

Graeme K, "there is only one party that can stop the Tories" in the Calder Valley?

Last time a progressive alliance of Greens, Lib Dem and Labour votes combined would have defeated Craig Whitaker. This time the Labour vote will be down because of Corbyn, Lib dem will increase because last time their vote was crushed by tuition fees and defectors to the Tories, Greens will go down because the media will ignore them even though they have 1 MP and UKIP do not have any MPs. Ukip votes will swing back to the Tories.

This will make Calder Valley a 3 way marginal. The only candidate who can attract a progressive alliance in Calder is local lad and a man of principals, Rob Holden, Independant. He will hopefully receive a flood of votes and surprise everyone, by taking votes from all parties.

From Michael Prior

Thursday, 4 May 2017

I am afraid that Bob Deacon's persuasive and well-intentioned appeal has missed the boat. Both Calder Valley and Halifax CLP's have rebuffed Green Party proposals for a modest alliance. They appear to believe that in both constituencies, Labour will sail to victory without any help. I'm afraid that some people have to fall out of bed in order to wake up.

From Graeme K

Thursday, 4 May 2017

I support the idea of a progressive alliance and I think we have to acknowledge that Labour have the strongest claim on being the progressive candidate in Calder. In any case, James Baker's post shows that the Lib Dems aren't interested. 

Alex Rudkin, your analysis suggesting a fall in Labour's vote, a slight rise in the Lib Dems and UKIP voters going back to the Tories is plausible. But if that is what happens then the outcome won't be a '3 way marginal' contest but an easy Tory win. 

From Graham Barker

Thursday, 4 May 2017

I'm intrigued by the constant use of 'progressive'. What do those who use it think it means? 

From Mick Piggott

Saturday, 27 May 2017

Graham hasn't yet received a response to his request for the meaning of 'progressive' and I imagine by now he will have resorted to the dictionary.

If he did, it probably didn't add much to his understanding of what progressive politics is.  Maybe a few examples would help?

Establishing a National Health Service and a welfare system - that's progressive; attacking the health service and undermining welfare - that's the opposite:  it's regressive.  It's simple to work out where the political parties stand:  Labour established the NHS - that's progressive.  The Tories are undermining it, and attacking Trade Union rights, welfare and increasing the wealth/poverty gap - that's regressive, and in fact, goes further:  by making the majority poorer in order to increase the wealth and power of a selfish, rich minority - now, that's not just regressive, that's downright reactionary.  And don't ask me for a definition of that term.  As I should imagine most people understand all too well what that and the other terms mean. There is a wealth of dictionaries and political writings out there that Graham can turn to if he's really interested.

From Bob Deacon

Wednesday, 31 May 2017

Latest data (31st May) from YouGov/Times shows that progressives can form the next government if we work together.

Labour has run a good campaign but can't win alone. Only a Progressive Alliance government can be the change we all want to see. 

Likely Progressive Bloc based on this pole

Labour 257
SNP 50
Lib Dem 10
Plaid C 3
SDLP (NI) 3
Greens 1

Total 324 versus Tory Bloc of 320!

From Bob Deacon

Friday, 9 June 2017

So Josh lost by 600 votes. I hope 600 people who voted Lib Dem or Green are feeling sad that they let the Tories back in the Valley. One more seat here, one more seat there and we would have been cheering in a minority Labour Government. If we have to have an election again in the autumn I trust those 600 will, instead of seeing the charade of May carrying on as if nothing has happened, wake up and smell the coffee. 

From Michael Prior

Thursday, 4 May 2017

I think that Bob Deacon has to acknowledge that the local Green Party approached the local LP with the offer of a progressive alliance and were rebuffed both by the Party and by Fenton-Glynn personally. The story is on the HebWeb (HebWeb News, 4 May) in full and has has not been denied.

In fact many Green Party supporters and members did vote for Labour though I fully acknowledge I was not one of them.

In the light of all this, I feel that the comment about waking up is badly directed.

See also

HebWeb News: Green Party seeks 'progressive alliance'

General Election section 2017 of the HebWeb