Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

New rail timetable for May 2018

From Kez Armitage

Thursday, 18 January 2018

For those interested in train services when the new timetable is introduced in May. This site gives some details of what we can expect. Just put in a location (HBD is Hebden Bridge), a date after 19th May 2018 and a time (xx:xx format)

If you can't be bothered to do that, then all you need to know is that the timetable is substantially different from what it is now, and that we'll have direct hourly trains to Chester, Southport and Manchester Airport.

There are a few minuses - for example the journey to Huddersfield will now involve a half hour wait at Brighouse rather than the current 3 minutes - but generally it looks pretty positive for Hebden. How the new services co-ordinate with the local bus services is another matter.

From Mick Sasse

Friday, 19 January 2018

It's worth pointing out that the times on that site should be taken with a sizable pinch of salt as they're not yet finalised. 

An awful lot of work is going on behind the scenes on May 2018, and it's proving more complex even than normal (and that's saying something).

Without boring you with the details, there are yet more problems with Network Rail infrastructure projects (particularly electrifying the Preston - Manchester line which is needed to free up diesel trains), and with a background shortage of diesel trains, all of which are presenting real problems.  

It could be as late as the end of February, I'm afraid, before we have a firm picture of what Northern services will look like after the May timetable change.  

From Martin F

Saturday, 20 January 2018

Kez, Thanks very much for posting the information.

Even if the post-May information is likely to change, I am very grateful for the link as it shows the real progress of trains I am interested in catching and whether they are going to be late or not.

Thanks again.

From Hakim Cassimally

Saturday, 5 May 2018

Looking at the upcoming timetables at the route 36 timetable, it doesn't look like there are any more direct trains to Manchester Deansgate & Oxford Road.

I'd heard a rumour there'd be more of those rather than less. Bit of a shame (unless I'm missing something?)

From Andy G

Sunday, 6 May 2018

The Manchester Airport trains will also stop at Deansgate, Oxford Road and Manchester Piccadilly. 

From Hakim Cassimally

Sunday, 6 May 2018

Andy G: so change at Victoria onto the Airport train?

Or are there direct ones from Hebden to Airport? (I can't see any evidence of that in the new 20th May timetables.)

From Andy G

Sunday, 6 May 2018

My assertions re. the airport trains were based on a Northern Trains press release issued late last year, but having now managed to access the pdf for the new timetable, I can see what you mean. One for the Northern Trains PR office I think.

From Paul Rigg

Tuesday, 8 May 2018

The original planned trains to Manccheter Airport and Chester will not be operating at all; the service from Leeds via Dewsbury will be running through to Southport generally.  The trains via Dewsbury are running much later than they currently do, later ones terminate at Hebden Bridge.

Mytholmroyd and Sowerby Bridge are getting the Blackpool service making three trains an hour, though those services are in fact going to terminate mainly at Preston Monday to Saturday

Most services are non-stop between Rochdale and Manchester now.

Trans Pennine  Express are running their Yorkshire to Manchester Airport trains via the new Ordsall Curve, which results in a half hourly service from Manchester Victoria to Manchester Airport service calling at Piccadilly and Oxford Road.

From Chris Gifford

Wednesday, 16 May 2018

Considering the numbers of people commuting from Hebden to Huddersfield the loss of the quick connection at Brighouse is very disappointing. Was this even taken in to consideration when putting together the timetable?

With no direct service, Huddersfield is very poorly served from Hebden compared to Bradford, Leeds and Manchester. Two trains further doubles our experiences of delays and cancellations. 

From Andy G

Wednesday, 16 May 2018

I understand from sources within the rail industry that the half hour wait at Brighouse for the Huddersfield connection in the new timetable was unavoidable. This month sees the biggest recast of the rail timetables across the North of Englans for decades - a mammoth task of incredible complexity,  which has taken nearly three years to plan. Everything revolves around the Leeds - Huddersfield - Manchester Trans Pennine Express route, which has seen an increase from five to six express trains per hour, leaving very few slots for local services and freight trains. 

The entire Calder Valley service - including the hourly Leeds - Bradford - Halifax - Huddersfield service - has had to be re-jigged to fit in with the TPE timetable. As a result, not only will Hebden Bridge - Huddersfield passengers have a longer wait at Brighouse, but also the Leeds - Manchester Victoria (and vice-versa) via Dewsbury trains will no longer be able to stop at Batley until the Trans Pennine signalling upgrade is completed in a couple of years time. For similar reasons, the Blackpool/Preston - York service will now terminate at, and start from Leeds (except on Sundays), as there are now no suitable pathways available between Leeds and Church Fenton.

However, on the plus side, Mytholmroyd and Sowerby Bridge will now be served by three trains per hour instead of two, as the Blackpool/Preston - Leeds/York trains will make additional stops at those stations. Also the Calder Valley service via Dewsbury will now run much later in the evening than previously. Therefore it's not all bad news but, as the saying goes: "You can't please all of the people all of the time".

From Louise Heppleston

Tuesday, 29 May 2018

Can anyone send me a link with downloadable timetables for all trains from/to Hebden? I can sit on the station (I was in Mytholmroyd to be totally honest) and see trains going to places like Wigan but can't find detailed timetables. If I search online trains from Hebden to Southport, I can get times but can't see station stops. All help appreciated.

From Graham Barker

Friday, 1 June 2018

The National Rail appis very good and probably what Louise needs. Once you’ve got it set up, it’ll give you full journey details for all trains to and from anywhere.