Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Hardcastle Crags woodland management

From Philip Marshall

Friday, 31 August 2018

In the local paper the front page headline says there is a 'row' as 'axe looms' over trees at Hardcastle Crags woodland.

I read the article but could not see any further reference to a 'row'; indeed it is factual without any hyperbole.

I suggest that interested people read the management plan and the detailed proposals. It is well argued and addresses issues that are prevalent in many of our local woodlands.

See here

From Jade K

Saturday, 1 September 2018

I feel  quite concerned about these plans. There are owls in these woods that can be heard at night, so I am wondering if this will affect them as well as other wildlife. Furthermore,

it seems crazy to chop down mature trees like this, when there has been such flooding issues in the valley. If people are concerned about the beeches not being indigenous, then why not plant trees that are within the forest that is being planned along the M62 corridor?

From Andy M

Monday, 3 September 2018

I'd suggest going along to the event on the 11th?  Planned felling is an essential part of woodland management and the long-term health of woods, plus there will also be other factors to consider: visitor safety, disease control etc.

See also:

Yorkshire Post piece - Major tree felling plans for 19th-century woodland at Hardcastle Crags.

A public open evening about the plans will be held at Gibson Mill on September 12 at 6.30pm.