Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Vaccination priority groups

From George Murphy and Kate Murphy

Friday, 29 January 2021

Congratulations to Calderdale Council for completing the programme of vaccinations for elderly residents in care homes. Research has shown that people with schizophrenia have the second highest risk factor for COVID-19 deaths. As this finding has received scant attention in the media, can councillors and health professionals please give early priority to identifying and vaccinating this group, some of whom may be struggling to cope with extended lockdowns. 

From Dave R

Saturday, 30 January 2021

People with severe mental health issues are in Group 6, so already given some priority.

In respect of it allowing them to benefit from an easing of lockdown, you are advised follow guidance despite vaccination.
Each priority group has a medically valid reason for their placement. 

Saturday, 30 January 2021

Thanks Dave R - don’t know your role, but I can assure you we understand the other issues you point out. Vaccination, at present, doesn’t alter the case for easing lockdown. 

As it happens the broader mental health issues aren’t mentioned in the report into the death rate of people with schizophrenia, which would seem to establish a specific genetic vulnerability, second only to age related factors. Where this specific group of at risk people compare with age related groups might need attention - we think the findings are new and we’re aware that they are being overlooked in media discussions about larger cohorts, such as police and teachers. 

From Dave R

Sunday, 31 January 2021

I wouldn't presume to have any specific personal knowledge of severe mental health issues George. other than that I have friends with poor mental health,  and that my mother has dementia. 

I concede that it is the case that they are amongst those badly affected by lockdown.

There had to be some sort of priority list though, and whilst I'm sure that there are reasons  why some should be more speedily identified and vaccinated than others. It seems  they must be on the evidence of risk of death from the virus, rather than death from the impact of the virus. 

My mother got priority on her age, not on age and dementia. 
She has struggled massively with lockdown.

The vaccine hasn't changed anything for her, other than give her hope that soon she can see family and friends again. 

My friend who is 58, appreciates that he will get priority over his peers because of his mental health. He has by his own admission, struggled with the lack of face to face support. He feels that the vaccine will give him one less thing to worry about, and therefore improve one aspect of his anxiety. He also sees it as hope that support will be reinstated. 

Out of interest then, who would you say should have gone first? I suppose my point is that we would all have an opinion on that, and as they might differ, we have to accept the criteria laid out. 

Sunday, 31 January 2021

Thanks Dave. Yes we need to apply criteria. This new research indicates that people with schizophrenia are the second highest at risk group. I'm hoping SAGE have noticed and adjust their advice. The increased death rate amongst people with schizophrenia seems to indicate a genetic cause for their vulnerability to COVID. I appreciate the points you make about people with other mental health illnesses and conditions, and sympathise.