Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Colden Clough Tree Felling

From Tim M

Sunday, 21 February 2021

There's also a plan to thin in Colden clough. There's not a lot of information provided - which although the scheme seems well intentioned, is concerning...

See planning info

From Kez Armitage

Monday, 22 February 2021

Sadly, the consultation period is now over. We can no longer comment.

Essentially, the application involves the destruction of up to 180 trees - oak, beech and sycamore - to provide timber to enable the construction of 30 'leaky dams' in the valley (as has happened in Hardcastle Crags)

It does appear that this scheme has been sneaked through in the hope that nobody will notice. If you look at the application (21/50001/FCC) the details are disgracefully scant. And yet this is a far reaching proposal which could have a significant effect on this wonderful little valley for years to come.

Nobody could question the need to take measures to prevent Hebden flooding, but any proposals should be brought to the attention of the widest possible audience, and give everyone the opportunity to contribute.

From Tim M

Monday, 22 February 2021

Some clarification from the council. The documents on the site have very little detail. The plan is for leaky dams on tributary streams/drains and the removal of circa 30 sycamores across the valley to facilitate. 

From Andy M

Thursday, 25 February 2021

There's an overall explanation and compartment maps with the number of trees to be felled?   Looking at what's proposed I would expect a beneficial biodiversity outcome in both short, medium and longer terms with greater floristic and woodland diversity and wetland habitat created too. 

From Kez Armitage

Friday, 26 February 2021

Having seen Andy M's post here, I revisited the application and I notice that further supporting information was added on 22nd February.

This clarifies many points and suggests that the work will not be as far reaching as the original application suggested.

What a pity that this information couldn't have been included to begin with, saving us all time, effort and concern.