Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Fluoridation of West Yorkshire water

From Vivienne H

Sunday, 24 October 2021

One of the many new rules the government has slid past during lockdown, is the regulation requiring all water companies to add fluoride to the domestic water supply.

Whenever this has been proposed in the past, Yorkshire Water has been persuaded not to do it. This time, it appears they won’t have a choice.

I sent a Freedom of Information request asking the government to specify the date on which this will begin; how many parts per million they propose to add; whether the source of the fluoride is industrial waste & if not, whence it’s derived; & what monitoring of local post-fluoridation health they propose to do.

Today I received a form letter saying the Dept of Health & Social Care is too busy to respond to individual enquiries. 

They appended an email address for complaints, so I used it to say I didn’t consider that response acceptable. The email was returned as Undeliverable. 

If I’m the only person who cares about this I won’t pursue it. But for one thing, people with hypothyroidism need to know that for some years, fluoride was used to treat an excess of thyroid hormones because it inhibits thyroid function. If you use fluoridated water in drinks, food and for bathing, day after day, it’s going to have the same effect. A 2015 study confirms this: Water fluoridation in England linked to higher rates of underactive thyroid.

People with kidney problems may also have cause for concern.

I find it objectionable that the government is forcing this on everyone with the justification that fluoride is good for children’s teeth. 

There’s certainly some evidence for that,  but the studies I’ve seen emphasise that topical application is the most effective, ie putting fluoride in toothpaste. Other dental practitioners argue that vitamin D protects oral health better than fluoride. 

There is certainly insufficient evidence that forcing everyone to ingest fluoride on a permanent basis is risk-free, even for those not already in vulnerable groups. Is anyone else interested in taking this up with the Council?

From Josephine Hallgarth

Sunday, 24 October 2021

I object to bring forcefully medicated with fluoride.

I agree that the government's response is not acceptable. If they have the time to pass legislation adding chemicals to our water they ought to be able to prove they are doing it in a responsible way.