Ads on HebWeb

Small ads

Demolition of old mill tower in Mytholm

From Andrew Beck

Saturday 28 September 2024

I just saw a notice that a mill tower on the way up the Steeps is due for demolition on 30th September. I am really surprised this part of Calderdales industrial heritage isn't listed. Anyone know whether the other chimneys of Hebden Bridge are listed? And if not, should they be?

From Matthew Fawcett

Thursday 3 October 2024

Some are listed, some aren't.  Innovation Mill and Mitchell Mill in Old Town are. Others, like the one that's coming down, aren't.  It tends to follow if there's still a mill attached it gets listed but if there isn't it comes down.  Residents tried to get the Mytholm Works chimney listed but Historic England declined citing the fact it was of local interest rather than national.

Personally I believe these chimneys are as much a part of the landscape as the trees that line the valley sides and just as we protect the trees we should protect the chimneys.  They belong to the skyline as much as the trees that stand beside them. They mark time.  To lose them is to lose a connection to the past. What's happening is a stain on us all.

See also

HebWeb News: Mytholm Mill Chimney to go 28 Sept 2024

Previously, on the HebWeb

Mytholm Steeps Mill Chimney Demolition - discussion, October 2019

Mytholm Chimney: Statement from Town Council - October 2019

Listing the Hebden Mill Chimneys - Discussion, April 2018