Opposition grows to "traffic improvements".
Friday, 17 January 2020
Proposals include making the Keighley Road at Commercial Street one way - with Pecket Well, Hardcastle Crags and Keighley traffic to be diverted through the centre of Hebden Bridge along Albert Street; banning commuter parking on the A646 between Hebden Bridge Station and Mytholmroyd, and banning parking on Market Street.
(See HebWeb News: Have your say on road improvement plans.)
Hebden Bridge Business Forum have issued a statement opposing proposals for "traffic improvement" through the town.
The Business Forum have outlined their objections as follows:
The scheme is being promoted by Calderdale Council as a means of championing a West Yorkshire Key Route Network. The aim is to improve connectivity and deliver an 8% reduction in journey time from Halifax through to Todmorden. However, the improvement in traffic flow comes at a cost, a cost which we feel local business cannot bear. The plans will see street parking from Machpelah through to Mytholmroyd abolished, together with decreased parking in the town centre itself.
Our major objections are:
- Hebden Bridge is a community and not a corridor – these plans do not address the needs of our local community but prioritise the larger towns.
- Emphasis seems to be placed on getting as much traffic as possible through the valley as fast as possible – which will have a negative impact on health and safety and emissions, as opposed to improving conditions for residents.
- Reducing parking in the town centre will have a major detrimental impact on business and trade. It will also make it harder for people to work in the town and of course deter visitors.
- Removing parking along Burnley Road for rail commuters will make more people use their cars to commute as opposed to using the trains.
- All this work is a major cost (£5.09 million!!) and not a priority for local business – we want more people visiting and stopping in the town not driving through faster.
- The timing is obscene – starting in Autumn 2020 – just as the EA flood works are due to commence. We have suffered 3 years of disruption in Mytholmroyd – which has been the major cause of congestion in the valley – we need a rest not more works and disruption.
- Speeding up and promoting this “corridor” will divert more HGVs to use the route as opposed to the M62 – which again affects safety and pollution in the valley. Many local residents and traders are quite happy for the A646 to remain a country A road and do not want a faster, busier trunk road to change the character of our “corridor” communities.
- One way traffic on Commercial Street will push more traffic into the heart of the town centre.
- Other than spend money changing the town's one way systems, why not invest in acquiring land for park and ride schemes. There are sites suitable at Walkely Cloggs, Mayroyd Mill or out by the turning circle. Edge of town parking will greatly relieve congestion in the town centre whilst providing for the needs of local people and visitors.
More info, news and discussion
Calderdale Survey - give your views before 27 January
Interactive Map - difficult to find on the Calderdale web pages
HebWeb News - Have your say on road improvement plans (3 Jan)
HebWeb Discussion Forum - Corridor improvement programme - urgent