HX7 Jazz, Tarantism, Simon Munnery, Clothes Swap and more at the Trades
Double bass virtuoso Jenni Molloy brings her unique take on Bach classics to the Trades Club on Thursday 18 March as part of the HX7 Jazz Club.
Jenni’s original compositions are inspired by Bach’s Cello Suites, solo Violin Sonatas and Inventions for the Piano with dashes of Rostropovich and Ornette Coleman thrown in.
Jenni will joined by top jazz sidemen Stuart MacDonald on saxophones and Chris Sykes on drums and percussion in a show the Guardian said ‘has taken elements of Bach compositions and given them new melodic storylines using jazz, tango, township-jive and understated funk.”
The Mental Elf Team are putting on putting one on their favourite bands Tarantism on Friday 19 March who are making a long-awaited return to the stage after a period of hibernation in the studio.
All that hard work has paid off with a stunning new album ‘Music is Music’ and Tarantism are playing two sets kicking off with their original live set of high energy Celtic ska dub before morphing into the infectious beats of the Tarantism Sound System.
DJ Badger is on hand with his usual mix of beats and as always there are teas and cakes on offer at hippies’ ‘All for Donations’ Café.
It’s time to celebrate the end of valley fever and put a spring in your step at the Spring Clothes Swap Party on Saturday afternoon.
All you have to do is bring a bag of sadrags that you have fallen out of love with and swap them for some new gladrags to lift your mood. While-u-wait alterations are on offer so your new clothes will fit perfectly and there is a voluntary £1 donation to the Women’s Centre in Halifax.
In the evening it’s time for Cabaret Heaven who have booked experimental stand up Simon Munnery described as ‘one the most original and talented comics in the country.’
Simon made his name as daft urban warrior Alan Parker who talked in clichés and went on to write BBC Series ‘Attention Scum’ where he went round the country in a transit van as ‘The League Against Tedium’ preaching to the masses.
He has done some shows with his head covered by a metal bucket and his solo shows also feature some offbeat poetry.
Support comes from hilarious and multi-skilled fool Coronowy Thom who has played shows as varied as the Moscow State Circus and Glastonbury.
“The HX7 Jazz series has only going for a few weeks but is already drawing big crowds and Jenni Molloy is a top class booking with a very personal take on Bach classics,” Trades Club spokesperson Paul Clarke told the Hebden Bridge Web.
“Mental Elf never fail to amaze with the quality of the live acts they book and Tarantism are huge on the festival circuit so we’re expecting a full house.
“Simon Munnery has an utterly surreal take on life making him one of the hottest acts on the comedy circuit and Cabaret Heaven have pulled off a real coup booking him.”
More info from 01422 845265 or Trades Club Box Office
Previously on HebWeb
- Andy Sheppard at the Trades
- It’s Cool for Cats at the Trades
- Sunfish, Fay Hield, Chris Lynam, Bethany Black and Quiz at the Trades
- Back Into the Valley for top DJs
- Out on the Floor at the Trades Club
- Maghribibeat, quiz night, Palestinian evening and book launch at the Trades
- Haiti benefit at the Trades
- The Beat, Nancy Elizabeth and Love Music Hate Racism fundraiser
- Dread Dub at the Trades
- Nothing to Declare at the Trades Club
- Solstice celebration at the Trades Club
- Dance to the Rocksteady beat at the Trades
- Valley superstars debut at the Trades
- Strictly tea dancing at Trades
- White Ribbon Campaign benefit at the Trades
- High class burlesque and the Joni Mitchell Project at the Trades
- New Folk superstar Martha Tilston star and Marcelo de Ramos plays the Trades
- Madcap rockers risk life and limb at the Trades
- Gong Legend Daevid Allen plays the Trades
- Brawn not brains at Cabaret Heaven
- Juno winner James Keelaghan visits Trades
- DJ James Holroyd, Sisters of Transistors and the Hello Sailor burlesque team
- Motion Theory, Salsa, quiz and 20/20 cricket at the Trades
- Big Apple troubadour Jeffrey Lewis plays the Trades
- Live Ashes at the Trades
- Trades to give local youth a voice
- Celtic rock kings Peatbog Faeries play Trades
- Short film premier at Trades Club
- Share your vision for Hebden Bridge
- Question Time at the Trades
- Salsa back at the Trades
- New Trades Roots label
- Owter Zeds 25th anniversary event at the Trades
- Top poet Simon Armitage to rock the Trades
- Ska warriors Natural Rhythm storm the Trades Club
- Monkey business and Steve Gifford at the Trades
- Glastonbury favourites 3 Daft Mondays swing into the Trades
IncredibleMike Heron at the Trades
- Rock on at the Trades
- Dr Feelgood back at the Trades
- Nick Harper hits the peaks at the Trades
- May Day weekend at the Trades Club
- Peter Kay rocks the Trades Club
- Squeezing out the hits at the Trades
- Southern Tenant Folk Union at the Trades
- Becks and The Bullets back at the Trades
- Sunshine Sounds at the Trades
- It’s Ho-Hoedown Time at the Trades
- Australia’s Emily Barker plays the Trades
- St Patrick’s Day Shenanigans at The Trades